Skip to main content

An Introduction to Wiki

I was introduced to Wiki not too long after this class started. Only about a week in, really. Before that, I had thought it was some offshoot of a Wikipedia page, I guess. I was working on a student who was job searching and he shared that one of his sources was a Wiki page. Obviously, this confused me. I am always open to learning new resources for job search sites, but a Wiki page? He explained that on the page people start a thread for when new academic jobs are posted at an institution, then they update each other on where they are in the hiring process. For example, whoever gets a call for a first interview will share when they got the call and when they are scheduled for that interview. Second interview candidates are supposed to give that information, and so on. The purpose being that other people who have applied aren't feeling like they are in limbo uncertain if that university has begun the hiring process or not. 

While in theory, this sounds like a good idea. I'm sure many of us have applied for jobs and had to go through the waiting process. Not sure if that organization has made calls about interviews or even hired someone, until at some point you realize it's not you. Sometimes, weeks or months, or maybe never, you get that email or status update on your application saying you weren't chosen. It's frustrating and you just wish you knew. While there's something to be said for just knowing, part of what my student shared were the negative side effects of constantly knowing.  He shared that he woke up every morning and one of the first things he did was check this page to see the status of the places he had applied (I'm assuming others as well). It had begun to lead to depression and anxiety.  Like many articles, news stories, and personal anecdotes this student shared similar feelings described in this article by Forbes about 6 Ways Social Media Affects our Mental Health 

We talked about changing this habit, and other ways to cope with the stress of the job search and disappointment of rejection, more useful job search sites, and mentors and advisors that could be of help, but I couldn't help but think that this Wiki page seemed to be creating more stress than doing good!  If you're interested in checking it out, you can do so here (you need to scroll down to the Application Year section to see the job updates portion). Does anyone else have any experience with Wikis?

Here's another short article from Psychology Today about Social Media and Happiness in case you're curious! Psychology Today

Comments

  1. Leah, thanks for sharing about the use of a Wiki page for job searching - that is a new one for me too. (Whenever I hear the word “wiki” I think of the Sam Witwicky character played by Shia LaBeouf from the Transformers movies!) While maybe a little unconventional, it does make sense that it could be used to facilitate this sort of collective journey through the difficult hiring process. It can be daunting, and going through it with others, even if only vicariously, can take some of the stress out of it. One of the interesting things about what you describe is that it seems almost counter-intuitive. The hiring process is one big competition that effectively pits applicants against one another. But despite this, the participants on the Wiki page are sharing their experience and knowledge for the benefit of others.

    I’m glad that you brought up about the negative emotional side effects of constantly knowing. The old adage “ignorance is bliss” seems to take on newfound meaning in the digital age of constant connectivity. I addressed a similar downside on my blog about the dark side of Web 2.0. I think that while these technology tools available today can certainly provide a lot of benefit, we have to be careful that we don’t fall victim to them in the process and allow them to be in control. This week’s challenge to disconnect for a day is a good reminder of this and a worthwhile practice to get in the habit of doing frequently.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is LinkedIn for Me? 7 Reasons why it should be.

Let me start this post by saying that I am not an expert on LinkedIn. My profile is average. Some of that is on purpose (I'll explain that part in a bit) some is in the "do as I say, not as I do" category. I know a bit, I read more and I hear things from employers, I'm not always the best at keeping my profile up to date. Despite this, I'm a huge advocate for LinkedIn. I recently facilitated an interactive LinkedIn workshop for graduate students. Even though it's summer session, we had a full house! You can check out the Twitter photo  here . Referencing a previous article I used, Pew Research Center has 18-24 year olds using LinkedIn at 25%, this increases to 34% for 25-29 (Smith and Anderson, 2018). This makes sense, and anecdotally echoes what I see: students begin thinking about LinkedIn around graduation or in grad school. The trouble with this topic is convincing students that LinkedIn really is worth their time. Add in the fact that these workshops ar

Pinterest for Learning

The more tools we discuss the more I wonder how else we can use them for learning. Pinterest is a platform that I can spend a lot of time on when it comes to trying to find new material. I've noticed though, that I typically use it to find  ideas for a lesson or workshop, rather than looking at ways to use the platform in the classroom/to teach/as part of the learning. This sort of ties into one of our themes for this week, curation. I mostly use Pinterest to curate my ideas for things I could do with students rather than actually using Pinterest as a tool in learning. The University of Southern California Rossier Online Blog provided 14 Ways Students Could Utilize Pinterest in the Classroom . I thought it was great that #10 was Lessons on Copyright and Digital Rights  given our topic for the week! I wish it would have given more ways to use it for this, but I guess in the interest of creating my own content, I'll have to think of my own. Another favorite of mine is #12, Glob

Introducing Snapchat: Should it really be a Social Network?

Snapchat " One of the principal concepts of Snapchat is that pictures and messages are only available for a short time before they become inaccessible. "  " The app has evolved from originally focusing on person-to-person photo sharing to presently featuring Stories" of 24-hour chronological content, along with "Discover" to let brands show ad-supported short-form entertainment. " Source:  Wikipedia These are the definitions that appear on Wikipedia when you look up Snapchat. My goal this week is to understand Snapchat. When it first arrived, I downloaded the app and it seemed to make sense.  I've never enjoyed taking selfies so I didn't use it much. Now the app looks a lot different and is very confusing; I'm not really sure what I'm looking at when I open it to be honest!  But alas, in listening to the Voicethread this morning we are encouraged to share which new tool we will try this week. Mine is Snapchat. I vow to unde

Twitter

Pinterest