Skip to main content

Instagram Challenge Review

The Instagram Challenge was surprisingly more difficult than I first thought it would be. When I looked at the list and saw there were only 10 items, plus a few bonus items I didn't think it would be too bad. It really surprised me!

A few came easy: 
# 2 A book with social media for an author - I used this as an opportunity to highlight Elin Hilderbrand (@elinhilderbrand), one of my favorite summer authors! Her new book just came out last month, I'm listening to it on Audible now.

# 7 A government agency displaying social media - with where I work, I new we had pamphlets, handouts, business cards etc. from recruiters that I could use for this one!

# 8 A place where social media could be being used, but wasn't - I grabbed a photo of a Starbucks sign, but there was also no social media tags on either of the doors going into the Starbucks on campus (would've taken those photos, but didn't want to be too creepy!). Considering all the social media presence Starbucks has, this really surprised me, and seemed like a missed opportunity.


# 10 Overt encouragement to post - I think this one could've been in a few places, but over the course of the weekend, several spots, especially restaurants encouraged you to follow them, check in, or leave reviews.

The challenge:
# 1 Business card with LinkedIn info - I knew this would be hard for a few reasons, I wouldn't be getting a lot of business cards over the weekend and most business cards I get don't have LinkedIn on them. I usually see LinkedIn URLs on resumes. I'm curious how often people put their LinkedIn on their business cards in the professional world? 

#6 A commercial with a hashtag - I was shocked at how long this one took me to find. I guess between DVR and streaming networks, I've cut out a lot of commercials these days, but I just thought hashtags appeared everywhere on TV. I had to wait quite some time before finding one! Although I thought the one I found from Allstate, #Weddingsaremayhem was quite a gem.

Final thoughts on the challenge, I thought finding a tweet incorporated into a new story wouldn't be impossible, but after the commercial adventure seemed like a daunting task. I did find an old Foursquare check in logo paired with Facebook and Twitter!  Overall, I posted more on Instagram than I ever have, it made me notice considerably more social media, tags, and connectivity than it would have otherwise. Despite not completing everything, I'm glad I attempted it because it definitely made me look closer at things.

In considering some of our readings for this week about folksonomies, particularly, Building a collaborative knowledge base in Diigo: How links, tags, and comments support learning (Im, T. & Dennen, V. P. 2013) I found the content about how the class decided on their tags relevant to my Instagram challenge. I always felt tagging and determining hashtags seemed slightly haphazard, it helps when you begin typing and Twitter or Instagram auto-populates a tag and lets you know how often it has been used, but when the article briefly discusses the students' rationale for how they determined some of their tags and the debate they had regarding their opinions, I appreciated the insight into that discussion. As outsiders who so often only choose tags that are pre-determined, this was helpful information to read.

Overall, while I did not complete the entire Instagram challenge, it was a great learning experience that allowed me to grow with a new social media tool, as well as think about how I might interact more with the people and places that a I frequent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is LinkedIn for Me? 7 Reasons why it should be.

Let me start this post by saying that I am not an expert on LinkedIn. My profile is average. Some of that is on purpose (I'll explain that part in a bit) some is in the "do as I say, not as I do" category. I know a bit, I read more and I hear things from employers, I'm not always the best at keeping my profile up to date. Despite this, I'm a huge advocate for LinkedIn. I recently facilitated an interactive LinkedIn workshop for graduate students. Even though it's summer session, we had a full house! You can check out the Twitter photo  here . Referencing a previous article I used, Pew Research Center has 18-24 year olds using LinkedIn at 25%, this increases to 34% for 25-29 (Smith and Anderson, 2018). This makes sense, and anecdotally echoes what I see: students begin thinking about LinkedIn around graduation or in grad school. The trouble with this topic is convincing students that LinkedIn really is worth their time. Add in the fact that these workshops ar

Pinterest for Learning

The more tools we discuss the more I wonder how else we can use them for learning. Pinterest is a platform that I can spend a lot of time on when it comes to trying to find new material. I've noticed though, that I typically use it to find  ideas for a lesson or workshop, rather than looking at ways to use the platform in the classroom/to teach/as part of the learning. This sort of ties into one of our themes for this week, curation. I mostly use Pinterest to curate my ideas for things I could do with students rather than actually using Pinterest as a tool in learning. The University of Southern California Rossier Online Blog provided 14 Ways Students Could Utilize Pinterest in the Classroom . I thought it was great that #10 was Lessons on Copyright and Digital Rights  given our topic for the week! I wish it would have given more ways to use it for this, but I guess in the interest of creating my own content, I'll have to think of my own. Another favorite of mine is #12, Glob

Technology's impact on Diverse Abilities

"The most striking finding of the national survey is the extent of peer-to-peer help amount people living with chronic conditions...One in four internet users living with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart conditions, lung conditions, cancer, or some other chronic ailment (23%) say they go online to find others with similar health concerns. By contrast 15% of internet users who report no chronic conditions have sough such help online." (Raine & Wellman, p.145) When I made the switch to higher education my first job was an advisor in the Office for Students with Disabilities, and it was an enlightening experiencing that has stayed with me. Since then I've been able to remain a liaison to those offices at the different places I've worked and try to help support people with diverse abilities in their career development. So I couldn't blog through this whole course and not talk about the impact that technology and social media has had on this community.

Twitter

Pinterest