Skip to main content

Week 4 Wrap Up

I've tried a lot of new tools this week, and I've tried some familiar tools in new ways. There's been some reading and researching, and a lot of thinking about how to engage this technology with students. So I thought I'd take a little time just to reflect on what's worked and what hasn't.

In Favor


  • VoiceThread
    • From the beginning I enjoyed that our "lectures" were in this platform rather than reading PowerPoint slides. The shorter format, combined with audio recording, and ability to interact was very appealing to me.
    • Creating my own was a little intimidating, but shockingly, I still really like this platform. I can see myself using VoiceThread for online lectures and will try to find ways to use it at work. It was very simple to navigate, so ease of use always helps me feel comfortable, but I do enjoy the different ways it allows learner to engage.
  • Pearltrees
    • Unlike some of the other curation sites, I find this one to be helpful for academic curation. I think it seems very easy, and I like having a space where I can curate the articles and resources I'm using for school in a separate place from articles I want to read for fun. This also helps me save things that someday I may want to be able to go back and find, without having to try and save url's or other ways I might have tried to save information in the past.
    • I can see this being a good tool for group projects and class assignments where everyone needs to be finding resources. An alternative to Pinterest.
  • Nuclino
    • At first it took my a few tries to understand how to add content and format content on Nuclino, which I was not a fan of (as I mentioned, I prefer user-friendly) but once I figured it out I do prefer that they have some nice formatting which allows you to make font larger and add headings etc.
    • I think the layout, interface, ease of use, overall appearance is so much nicer than a Wiki page. Maybe I'm biased never having been a Wiki user, but Nuclino seems so clean compared to Wiki's.
Not Sure/Not Enjoying
  • Diigo
    • While I did find Diigo much easier to post on than I originally thought, I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about it. I can see how it definitely has some positive contributions and why it would be useful, but the visual aspects of it do not appeal to me. I think when possible, I would find it easier to be in Canvas or a platform like that versus Diigo, but would love to hear others' experiences on how it has been beneficial for them.
  • Fakebook
    • Checked this one out, I can see how this might be cute to use with young elementary school children. I think anyone older than probably 4th grade would probably think it was silly. There seem like there are probably better platforms or apps to achieve the same learning outcomes though.
Seem Interesting, Not Sure Sow I Would Use Them
  • myHistro
    • This looked very neat. I reviewed some different battles and timelines. It's a very cool idea that people share these projects. I'm not sure how I would incorporate this site but I think there's some value in a lot of the concepts here. Plus, I enjoy history so on a different note I did think it was fun to read some of them.
  • Duolingo
    • Practiced my German on this one. Established a profile here. I always enjoy good quality language sites. I don't know how this would be integrated into my current role, but it's always helpful to know of these resources.
I'm glad I've had the chance to try out some of these new tools and to expand on what I've been doing with some tools I've been using. I'm looking forward to continuing to think about how to implement them with different populations. Any tools I've missed that you've really loved or didn't really enjoy?

Comments

  1. The traditional wikis seem to be fading away ... at least the free ones. But then tools like Nuclino are popping up, serving the same general function, and with a nicer interface.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is LinkedIn for Me? 7 Reasons why it should be.

Let me start this post by saying that I am not an expert on LinkedIn. My profile is average. Some of that is on purpose (I'll explain that part in a bit) some is in the "do as I say, not as I do" category. I know a bit, I read more and I hear things from employers, I'm not always the best at keeping my profile up to date. Despite this, I'm a huge advocate for LinkedIn. I recently facilitated an interactive LinkedIn workshop for graduate students. Even though it's summer session, we had a full house! You can check out the Twitter photo  here . Referencing a previous article I used, Pew Research Center has 18-24 year olds using LinkedIn at 25%, this increases to 34% for 25-29 (Smith and Anderson, 2018). This makes sense, and anecdotally echoes what I see: students begin thinking about LinkedIn around graduation or in grad school. The trouble with this topic is convincing students that LinkedIn really is worth their time. Add in the fact that these workshops ar

Pinterest for Learning

The more tools we discuss the more I wonder how else we can use them for learning. Pinterest is a platform that I can spend a lot of time on when it comes to trying to find new material. I've noticed though, that I typically use it to find  ideas for a lesson or workshop, rather than looking at ways to use the platform in the classroom/to teach/as part of the learning. This sort of ties into one of our themes for this week, curation. I mostly use Pinterest to curate my ideas for things I could do with students rather than actually using Pinterest as a tool in learning. The University of Southern California Rossier Online Blog provided 14 Ways Students Could Utilize Pinterest in the Classroom . I thought it was great that #10 was Lessons on Copyright and Digital Rights  given our topic for the week! I wish it would have given more ways to use it for this, but I guess in the interest of creating my own content, I'll have to think of my own. Another favorite of mine is #12, Glob

Conquering my Fear of Twitter

Yesterday I conquered my fear and posted my first Tweet ever ( First Tweet! ) for our class challenge.  I've had a personal Twitter account for a few years but only really started reading tweets in the last year or so. The concept never seemed too interesting to me, until I started to feel like I was missing information when I was talking to friends or co-workers. Whether it was celebrity gossip, actual news, or events in their lives, I always seemed to be a few steps behind because I didn't keep up on social media. It's one thing to not know what celebrity is dating who, but to miss important events in your friends lives was frustrating.  I wanted my friends to understand that I didn't care about social media; to me it was a place to sort of stay connected to people you kind of knew. We were actual friends and I wanted to hear their news from them. This was frustrating on both sides, but also provided a lot of humor for dinner parties. It often still does.   As soc

Twitter

Pinterest