Skip to main content

Conquering my Fear of Twitter

Yesterday I conquered my fear and posted my first Tweet ever (First Tweet!) for our class challenge.  I've had a personal Twitter account for a few years but only really started reading tweets in the last year or so. The concept never seemed too interesting to me, until I started to feel like I was missing information when I was talking to friends or co-workers. Whether it was celebrity gossip, actual news, or events in their lives, I always seemed to be a few steps behind because I didn't keep up on social media. It's one thing to not know what celebrity is dating who, but to miss important events in your friends lives was frustrating. 

I wanted my friends to understand that I didn't care about social media; to me it was a place to sort of stay connected to people you kind of knew. We were actual friends and I wanted to hear their news from them. This was frustrating on both sides, but also provided a lot of humor for dinner parties. It often still does.  

As social media grew, I knew that I needed to adapt. Some of my friends are very connected on social media, and for those friends I try a little harder, making sure I comment on their statuses or photos so they know I'm present, but they've adapted for me as well. My friends will call or text when they have important news to share before putting it online because they know I don't want to read it on Facebook, I want to hear it from them and share in that joy or pain. 

One thing that hasn't changed much was what I shared. I have been pretty consistently hands-off on my sharing. I'm usually just an observer, and even that is sporadic. When I think about why, it is usually a blend between over-thinking what I would even say, the time commitment, and feeling uncomfortable sharing information for everyone to read. Facebook has been my only platform until recently, and so I began wondering how that compared to others. According to this chart from Pew Research Center, statically I'm not that out of the norm for not using Twitter!



This article is from March 2018 and details Social Media Use in 2018, focusing on early trends. You can find the full article here.  I'm at the lower end of one of these age categories so I think it's a little harder to see exactly where I might compare myself, but overall my social media usage is less than someone in my age range. 

How does your social media usage stack up to this study?


Comments

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing your personal experiences of using social media. It's no surprise to see that Facebook and Twitter dominate the social media usage landscape. At the same time, the younger Americans stand out for embracing a variety of platforms and using them frequently. It is evident, though that social media consumption extends well beyond Facebook. I can agree with this chart as I find myself more on Facebook and YouTube than other social media websites and apps. Having said that, I have tried all different types of social media platforms, both professionally and personally, but I believe that Facebook and YouTube satisfy my content needs the most. I find the content very useful on these two platforms. That's perhaps because these are the most advanced platforms in terms of integrating machine learning in their algorithms. Facebook's PageRank and YouTube's EdgeRank (Google's algorithm originally) make sure that the users are catered with the type of content that resonate with their most frequent and favored content consumption. I have managed the advertising campaigns for my clients in different verticals on these platforms, and at that time, I knew how to target the right set of audiences using these algorithms specific to them. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions about such social media algorithms and want to know more usage stats on social media consumption across different verticals, especially education. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a Twitter account before but I did not use it much other than following news or celebrities. It was because many of my friends were not there. Social media has a lot of functions but I really think that keeping relationship is the most important function of them. Now, with my classmates connected through #6414 hashtag, I feel connected and it is more fun to login and read tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely consider myself to be an outlier in terms of my social media usage for my age bracket. Before this course I didn't even have a Twitter or Instagram account, nor did I seek out any of the content being generated on these platforms. I've always seen posting as a chore; trying to craft the perfect caption to a photo with just the right amount of humor to not come off as snobby. Perhaps my view might change by the end of this immersion in social media and Web 2.0...or maybe everyone will be tired of listening to me. Time will tell!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is LinkedIn for Me? 7 Reasons why it should be.

Let me start this post by saying that I am not an expert on LinkedIn. My profile is average. Some of that is on purpose (I'll explain that part in a bit) some is in the "do as I say, not as I do" category. I know a bit, I read more and I hear things from employers, I'm not always the best at keeping my profile up to date. Despite this, I'm a huge advocate for LinkedIn. I recently facilitated an interactive LinkedIn workshop for graduate students. Even though it's summer session, we had a full house! You can check out the Twitter photo  here . Referencing a previous article I used, Pew Research Center has 18-24 year olds using LinkedIn at 25%, this increases to 34% for 25-29 (Smith and Anderson, 2018). This makes sense, and anecdotally echoes what I see: students begin thinking about LinkedIn around graduation or in grad school. The trouble with this topic is convincing students that LinkedIn really is worth their time. Add in the fact that these workshops ar

Pinterest for Learning

The more tools we discuss the more I wonder how else we can use them for learning. Pinterest is a platform that I can spend a lot of time on when it comes to trying to find new material. I've noticed though, that I typically use it to find  ideas for a lesson or workshop, rather than looking at ways to use the platform in the classroom/to teach/as part of the learning. This sort of ties into one of our themes for this week, curation. I mostly use Pinterest to curate my ideas for things I could do with students rather than actually using Pinterest as a tool in learning. The University of Southern California Rossier Online Blog provided 14 Ways Students Could Utilize Pinterest in the Classroom . I thought it was great that #10 was Lessons on Copyright and Digital Rights  given our topic for the week! I wish it would have given more ways to use it for this, but I guess in the interest of creating my own content, I'll have to think of my own. Another favorite of mine is #12, Glob

Introducing Snapchat: Should it really be a Social Network?

Snapchat " One of the principal concepts of Snapchat is that pictures and messages are only available for a short time before they become inaccessible. "  " The app has evolved from originally focusing on person-to-person photo sharing to presently featuring Stories" of 24-hour chronological content, along with "Discover" to let brands show ad-supported short-form entertainment. " Source:  Wikipedia These are the definitions that appear on Wikipedia when you look up Snapchat. My goal this week is to understand Snapchat. When it first arrived, I downloaded the app and it seemed to make sense.  I've never enjoyed taking selfies so I didn't use it much. Now the app looks a lot different and is very confusing; I'm not really sure what I'm looking at when I open it to be honest!  But alas, in listening to the Voicethread this morning we are encouraged to share which new tool we will try this week. Mine is Snapchat. I vow to unde

Twitter

Pinterest