Skip to main content

Disengaging from Technology

Given work, school, and life in general I wasn't able to do the no technology challenge back when it was issued. After stepping up my social media presence and connection to online tools, I really think it will be valuable to do try this once class ends next week. So I'm vowing to go technology-free for 24 hours. 

I don't think being off social media will be the hardest thing for me. I would say texting followed by television will most likely be my struggles. Of course this will have to take place on a weekend since I need my computer for work. While avoiding TV won't be too stressful, as I have a hard copy book I've been putting off reading because of my Audible membership (Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult), I imagine it will be hard to have plans with anyone other than my husband during this time. Usually when I have plans I'm texting to confirm or letting them know when I've left, and what if they need to cancel? They won't be able to get ahold of me. The other thing will be letting my family know they won't hear from me for 24 hours. My mom, sister and I have a constant group message and so I can imagine they would be wondering about me if I just stopped answering.

So while thinking about it being disconnected in part makes me nervous, it also sounds relaxing. This article from Elite Daily shares a Journey about Disconnecting from Social Media for a Week. We've all heard about how the "likes" on our photos produce actual dopamine highs and the effects on our brain chemistry. This author shares that by disengaging from social media it helped to feel less lonely, less envious, it was easier to sleep, and could enjoy the moment. While I don't feel quite as connected to social media as others, that doesn't mean I'm not connected to my phone or to technology.  I don't know how all the logistics will work out, but I am looking forward to a 24-hour technology break! Those of you who tried it how did it go? Any tips? Anyone who plans to try it, what are you looking forward to?

Comments

  1. I really would love to try it, but it is the little things that I wouldn't be able to disconnect from. I don't use social media daily, and I have found that I use my phone less and less. Yet, when my fiance watches SVU, I can't help but to tune in. Whether it is checking emails or doing homework, I am forced to interact with the tech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah, I echo your sentiments about looking forward to getting off the social media merry-go-round for a while. From my initial rounds of reading blog posts it seems like everyone has reached the tipping point about now. Like you, I have yet to fully unplug for a full 24 hours. I’m sure it would have been fine, like Dr. Dennen said, but a different kind of FOMO was too much for me to pull the plug. This fear was the fear of missing out on the things I felt like I should be doing - namely school work. Of course this fear is not a new phenomenon but one that I have been dealing with the entire time I’ve been in the ISLT program. There is so much to accomplish that it is difficult to be still and intentionally do nothing. This past week I used a token for a pass on the participation requirement and I was surprised that I had to fight the urge to not open the notification about a new blog post or respond to the latest tweet. I don’t consider myself addicted to social media by any means, but over the past 5 weeks it has certainly worked its way in and really rooted itself in my daily routine.

    Thanks for sharing the article - interesting read with some very poignant lessons about social media use. #8 really resonated with me, especially this remark: “One thing I've noticed about using social media is that I will often go down rabbit holes into other people's Instagram accounts or Facebooks, and at my worst, I'll compare myself to someone else online, and think about how much smarter someone sounds on Twitter than I do.” This is why I can only visit Facebook once every few years. I never feel good about my own life after scrolling through picture after picture of other families having picture perfect moments. Deep down I know that people aren’t going to post when they’re at their worst - when the kids are fighting over who hit who first and the dog is doing laps around the house and the frozen lasagna got burnt to a crisp in all the commotion - but it’s hard to come away not making comparisons and feeling like your life can’t compete.

    The other day I actually forgot to take my phone off of do not disturb mode and it was thoroughly enjoyable to not have the constant reminder of notifications going off that new content was waiting for me. I think that is what I will enjoy the most when I am finally brave enough to pull the cord.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is LinkedIn for Me? 7 Reasons why it should be.

Let me start this post by saying that I am not an expert on LinkedIn. My profile is average. Some of that is on purpose (I'll explain that part in a bit) some is in the "do as I say, not as I do" category. I know a bit, I read more and I hear things from employers, I'm not always the best at keeping my profile up to date. Despite this, I'm a huge advocate for LinkedIn. I recently facilitated an interactive LinkedIn workshop for graduate students. Even though it's summer session, we had a full house! You can check out the Twitter photo  here . Referencing a previous article I used, Pew Research Center has 18-24 year olds using LinkedIn at 25%, this increases to 34% for 25-29 (Smith and Anderson, 2018). This makes sense, and anecdotally echoes what I see: students begin thinking about LinkedIn around graduation or in grad school. The trouble with this topic is convincing students that LinkedIn really is worth their time. Add in the fact that these workshops ar

Pinterest for Learning

The more tools we discuss the more I wonder how else we can use them for learning. Pinterest is a platform that I can spend a lot of time on when it comes to trying to find new material. I've noticed though, that I typically use it to find  ideas for a lesson or workshop, rather than looking at ways to use the platform in the classroom/to teach/as part of the learning. This sort of ties into one of our themes for this week, curation. I mostly use Pinterest to curate my ideas for things I could do with students rather than actually using Pinterest as a tool in learning. The University of Southern California Rossier Online Blog provided 14 Ways Students Could Utilize Pinterest in the Classroom . I thought it was great that #10 was Lessons on Copyright and Digital Rights  given our topic for the week! I wish it would have given more ways to use it for this, but I guess in the interest of creating my own content, I'll have to think of my own. Another favorite of mine is #12, Glob

Conquering my Fear of Twitter

Yesterday I conquered my fear and posted my first Tweet ever ( First Tweet! ) for our class challenge.  I've had a personal Twitter account for a few years but only really started reading tweets in the last year or so. The concept never seemed too interesting to me, until I started to feel like I was missing information when I was talking to friends or co-workers. Whether it was celebrity gossip, actual news, or events in their lives, I always seemed to be a few steps behind because I didn't keep up on social media. It's one thing to not know what celebrity is dating who, but to miss important events in your friends lives was frustrating.  I wanted my friends to understand that I didn't care about social media; to me it was a place to sort of stay connected to people you kind of knew. We were actual friends and I wanted to hear their news from them. This was frustrating on both sides, but also provided a lot of humor for dinner parties. It often still does.   As soc

Twitter

Pinterest