Skip to main content

Networked Creators - A Few Takeaways

This week I read Chapter 8 of Networked (Raine & Wellman, 2014)entitled "Networked Creators." The main focus of this chapter was on content creators, the people writing content, and connected by a network.  This chapter highlighted a few key points, and many of them felt eerily relevant to where we are today. For example, the chapter begins by sharing an example of how a man begins blogging about his poor experiences with the train system, safety concerns, overcrowding etc. and connects to others who also blog about their poor experiences. These collective blogs raise awareness and noise until they become public and are brought to attention in mainstream media, at which point, change is enacted. This type of content creation led to real a change in the rail system. I feel like this year we have seen content creation, especially on Twitter with the use of hashtags, cause change all around us.

Another example the book discusses is the Egyptian Revolt, and how social media allowed a network of people to come together with similar beliefs, feelings, and passions that would not have been able to connect so easily before. With the internet and social media their network was larger than it would have been with out social media. Because of this the revolt was able to grow, videos went public, support was increased, this was because of a network. We can see this happening with many marches and movements in our country right now. Often people are being united over social media, despite not knowing each other, and these are people who would probably never have met without the network of social media.  

The final fact I found quite interesting, was research coming from Pew Research Centers' Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ), that found that blogs, Twitter, and YouTube are often not reporting on the same news stories. "PEJ found that blogs shared the same lead story with traditional media in just 13 of the 49 weeks studied. Twitter...just 4 of the 49 weeks...On YouTube the top stories overlapped with traditional media 8 out of 49 weeks (212)."  The social media platforms in this study were tracked from June 2009 to January 2010. I'd be curious to see how it stacked up today. I feel like at least Twitter would be reporting top news stories more closely to what mainstream is reporting now, but maybe that's simply my perception.

The remainder of the chapter shares why someone might create content. Personally, I think this class is doing a great job helping me identify reasons for creating content, feeling comfortable when to do so, and finding spaces where I might want to, but pages 217-220 are great too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is LinkedIn for Me? 7 Reasons why it should be.

Let me start this post by saying that I am not an expert on LinkedIn. My profile is average. Some of that is on purpose (I'll explain that part in a bit) some is in the "do as I say, not as I do" category. I know a bit, I read more and I hear things from employers, I'm not always the best at keeping my profile up to date. Despite this, I'm a huge advocate for LinkedIn. I recently facilitated an interactive LinkedIn workshop for graduate students. Even though it's summer session, we had a full house! You can check out the Twitter photo  here . Referencing a previous article I used, Pew Research Center has 18-24 year olds using LinkedIn at 25%, this increases to 34% for 25-29 (Smith and Anderson, 2018). This makes sense, and anecdotally echoes what I see: students begin thinking about LinkedIn around graduation or in grad school. The trouble with this topic is convincing students that LinkedIn really is worth their time. Add in the fact that these workshops ar

Pinterest for Learning

The more tools we discuss the more I wonder how else we can use them for learning. Pinterest is a platform that I can spend a lot of time on when it comes to trying to find new material. I've noticed though, that I typically use it to find  ideas for a lesson or workshop, rather than looking at ways to use the platform in the classroom/to teach/as part of the learning. This sort of ties into one of our themes for this week, curation. I mostly use Pinterest to curate my ideas for things I could do with students rather than actually using Pinterest as a tool in learning. The University of Southern California Rossier Online Blog provided 14 Ways Students Could Utilize Pinterest in the Classroom . I thought it was great that #10 was Lessons on Copyright and Digital Rights  given our topic for the week! I wish it would have given more ways to use it for this, but I guess in the interest of creating my own content, I'll have to think of my own. Another favorite of mine is #12, Glob

Introducing Snapchat: Should it really be a Social Network?

Snapchat " One of the principal concepts of Snapchat is that pictures and messages are only available for a short time before they become inaccessible. "  " The app has evolved from originally focusing on person-to-person photo sharing to presently featuring Stories" of 24-hour chronological content, along with "Discover" to let brands show ad-supported short-form entertainment. " Source:  Wikipedia These are the definitions that appear on Wikipedia when you look up Snapchat. My goal this week is to understand Snapchat. When it first arrived, I downloaded the app and it seemed to make sense.  I've never enjoyed taking selfies so I didn't use it much. Now the app looks a lot different and is very confusing; I'm not really sure what I'm looking at when I open it to be honest!  But alas, in listening to the Voicethread this morning we are encouraged to share which new tool we will try this week. Mine is Snapchat. I vow to unde

Twitter

Pinterest