Skip to main content

NACE, Career Readiness and Social Media

Those of you in higher education may be familiar with the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), but here's a little bit about NACE directly from their website:
"Established in 1956, the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) connects more than 8,100 college career services professionals at nearly 2,000 colleges and universities nationwide, more than 3,100 university relations and recruiting professionals, and the business affiliates that serve this community. NACE is the leading source of information on the employment of the college educated, and forecasts hiring and trends in the job market; tracks starting salaries, recruiting and hiring practices, and student attitudes and outcomes; and identifies best practices and benchmarks.
NACE provides its members with high-quality resources and research; networking and professional development opportunities; and standards, ethics, advocacy, and guidance on key issues."
NACE provides career development practitioners with best practices, resources, research and generally, lots of good information to help prepare students for employment. They also help prepare employers to practice ethical recruiting efforts at universities, stay knowledgeable of employments trends, and create partnerships. Over the past few months our work has been heavily influences by NACE's 8 Career Readiness Competencies. You can read more about all eight over on NACE's website, but one that is relevant to our class is digital technology. For NACE, someone who is competent in digital technology is someone who can "leverage existing digital technologies ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals. The individual demonstrates effective adaptability to new and emerging technologies." 
What this means for us as career development professionals is that we want to do our part to tackle the career readiness competencies that we have can have a direct impact on in order to prepare our graduates to be ready for employment upon graduation. Digital technology is one of those areas that we can incorporate into our realm. I've already blogged about LinkedIn and given some thoughts about Pinterest.  I'm now working on a new education Pinterest page, to curate ideas related to learning and development, you can check it out here. We're talking more this week about Produsage and implementing these tools for learning in the classroom. NACE has given career practitioners guidelines saying these skills are important for students to have, based off feedback from employers saying these are skills they want new hires to have.  As we continue to think of new ways to implement technology in the classroom I came across these social media guidelines from NACE. Some examples are things we've covered, but there is some information that I found helpful, such as a focus for students on building their professional brand, connecting to their network and being purposeful in what they post. These are additional ways to use social media with students for career development.


Reference:
http://www.naceweb.org/ 
*NACE has a great website full of many downloadable resources for anyone interested in career development

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is LinkedIn for Me? 7 Reasons why it should be.

Let me start this post by saying that I am not an expert on LinkedIn. My profile is average. Some of that is on purpose (I'll explain that part in a bit) some is in the "do as I say, not as I do" category. I know a bit, I read more and I hear things from employers, I'm not always the best at keeping my profile up to date. Despite this, I'm a huge advocate for LinkedIn. I recently facilitated an interactive LinkedIn workshop for graduate students. Even though it's summer session, we had a full house! You can check out the Twitter photo  here . Referencing a previous article I used, Pew Research Center has 18-24 year olds using LinkedIn at 25%, this increases to 34% for 25-29 (Smith and Anderson, 2018). This makes sense, and anecdotally echoes what I see: students begin thinking about LinkedIn around graduation or in grad school. The trouble with this topic is convincing students that LinkedIn really is worth their time. Add in the fact that these workshops ar

Pinterest for Learning

The more tools we discuss the more I wonder how else we can use them for learning. Pinterest is a platform that I can spend a lot of time on when it comes to trying to find new material. I've noticed though, that I typically use it to find  ideas for a lesson or workshop, rather than looking at ways to use the platform in the classroom/to teach/as part of the learning. This sort of ties into one of our themes for this week, curation. I mostly use Pinterest to curate my ideas for things I could do with students rather than actually using Pinterest as a tool in learning. The University of Southern California Rossier Online Blog provided 14 Ways Students Could Utilize Pinterest in the Classroom . I thought it was great that #10 was Lessons on Copyright and Digital Rights  given our topic for the week! I wish it would have given more ways to use it for this, but I guess in the interest of creating my own content, I'll have to think of my own. Another favorite of mine is #12, Glob

Conquering my Fear of Twitter

Yesterday I conquered my fear and posted my first Tweet ever ( First Tweet! ) for our class challenge.  I've had a personal Twitter account for a few years but only really started reading tweets in the last year or so. The concept never seemed too interesting to me, until I started to feel like I was missing information when I was talking to friends or co-workers. Whether it was celebrity gossip, actual news, or events in their lives, I always seemed to be a few steps behind because I didn't keep up on social media. It's one thing to not know what celebrity is dating who, but to miss important events in your friends lives was frustrating.  I wanted my friends to understand that I didn't care about social media; to me it was a place to sort of stay connected to people you kind of knew. We were actual friends and I wanted to hear their news from them. This was frustrating on both sides, but also provided a lot of humor for dinner parties. It often still does.   As soc

Twitter

Pinterest