Skip to main content

Online Health Communities

When I think about online communities, I keep thinking back to our text Networked referencing how many people living with disabilities, especially health conditions connect with others this way (Rainie & Wellman, 2014). I came across this post on a blog for Cystic Fibrosis, titled "How Connecting Online with People with CF Changed my Life." The author writes about how when she was first diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, or CF, her network of people she knew who also had the disease was very small and limited to those in her geographic area, it then grew a little and she became 'connected' virtually through Facebook, but only in a very one-dimensional way. She explains that she would view photos and read posts, but there was limited or no engagement between them. This eventually changed when she was encouraged to log on to a video chat. 

The author then shares how this video chat experience helped her launch a new digital platform to connect people with CF, submit a proposal for a conference (which was accepted), and get invited to participate on a panel to talk about the online health community field. These online communities focused on health, especially health issues, are clearly a meeting a need and filling a gap. Technology is allowing people to come together who otherwise would not be able to, so that they can discuss their treatments, share tips, and in general be supportive to one another.

I've written a lot about my role working with students on their career development, and as an educator, but the other piece of my job is a counselor. Online communities share a lot of similar properties to therapeutic groups. I don't think that these online communities should be formed on the basis of providing therapy, but they may share some general principles in the way they're structured. There is a significant amount of information out there about group dynamics and group theory, specifically these 5 stages of group development: Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing, Adjourning. I could see this somewhat in the online communities I had observed. They had obviously formed, storming had happen (and maybe continued) in the beginning and because of that group rules are set, think about moderators of chat forums or rules that get posted. When Norming happens cliques dissolve and group cohesion begins and performing may or may not occur, but if it does it means the group is being productive. Adjourning is the close of the group and disengagement from other members, so for some this might be when they leave, or if the group comes to an end (Retrieved from: FSU Med Website).  While I can't say that these themes hold for all online communities, I do see some similarities and I think group counseling theory in general can be utilized when designing and evaluating online communities for non-counseling purposes.

Reference:
https://med.fsu.edu/uploads/files/FacultyDevelopment_GroupDevelopment.pdf 

Comments

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on group development. I have never heard of the 5 stages before and plan to do some more reading about that. I really think this could be helpful in my classroom/ work community at school as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is LinkedIn for Me? 7 Reasons why it should be.

Let me start this post by saying that I am not an expert on LinkedIn. My profile is average. Some of that is on purpose (I'll explain that part in a bit) some is in the "do as I say, not as I do" category. I know a bit, I read more and I hear things from employers, I'm not always the best at keeping my profile up to date. Despite this, I'm a huge advocate for LinkedIn. I recently facilitated an interactive LinkedIn workshop for graduate students. Even though it's summer session, we had a full house! You can check out the Twitter photo  here . Referencing a previous article I used, Pew Research Center has 18-24 year olds using LinkedIn at 25%, this increases to 34% for 25-29 (Smith and Anderson, 2018). This makes sense, and anecdotally echoes what I see: students begin thinking about LinkedIn around graduation or in grad school. The trouble with this topic is convincing students that LinkedIn really is worth their time. Add in the fact that these workshops ar

Pinterest for Learning

The more tools we discuss the more I wonder how else we can use them for learning. Pinterest is a platform that I can spend a lot of time on when it comes to trying to find new material. I've noticed though, that I typically use it to find  ideas for a lesson or workshop, rather than looking at ways to use the platform in the classroom/to teach/as part of the learning. This sort of ties into one of our themes for this week, curation. I mostly use Pinterest to curate my ideas for things I could do with students rather than actually using Pinterest as a tool in learning. The University of Southern California Rossier Online Blog provided 14 Ways Students Could Utilize Pinterest in the Classroom . I thought it was great that #10 was Lessons on Copyright and Digital Rights  given our topic for the week! I wish it would have given more ways to use it for this, but I guess in the interest of creating my own content, I'll have to think of my own. Another favorite of mine is #12, Glob

Introducing Snapchat: Should it really be a Social Network?

Snapchat " One of the principal concepts of Snapchat is that pictures and messages are only available for a short time before they become inaccessible. "  " The app has evolved from originally focusing on person-to-person photo sharing to presently featuring Stories" of 24-hour chronological content, along with "Discover" to let brands show ad-supported short-form entertainment. " Source:  Wikipedia These are the definitions that appear on Wikipedia when you look up Snapchat. My goal this week is to understand Snapchat. When it first arrived, I downloaded the app and it seemed to make sense.  I've never enjoyed taking selfies so I didn't use it much. Now the app looks a lot different and is very confusing; I'm not really sure what I'm looking at when I open it to be honest!  But alas, in listening to the Voicethread this morning we are encouraged to share which new tool we will try this week. Mine is Snapchat. I vow to unde

Twitter

Pinterest